Select five articles that reflect a comprehensive literature review of the theory propounded by the theorist you have been assigned and summarize each.
The Nurse Theory for the Literature Review is : Madeleine Leininger
¢The basic theoretical assertions or propositions.
¢An analysis and a critique of the model with a focus on elaboration of the theorys implications for nursing practice, nursing education, and nursing research.
Guidelines for Evaluation of Summarized
1. Select five articles that reflect a comprehensive literature review of the theory propounded by the theorist you have been assigned and summarize each. The articles should contain at least two primary and secondary sources, one of which must be a research article.
2. A primary source is an article written by the theorist herself. A secondary source is an article written about the theory or its use by another author. A research article is one in which the theory was used as the foundation for a research study; this may be a primary or secondary source depending upon whether the research was done by the theorist or by someone using her theory.
1. Start each summary on a separate page. Summaries should be one page in length for each article. Begin each summary with the correct APA citation of the article.
2. The summary should contain an introduction, a synopsis of the article, and a conclusion that contains your own evaluation of the article and its relevance.
3. Integrate all articles into a comprehensive reference list at the end of the literature review.
Selection reflects research into the historical perspective of the theory.
Selection reflects breadth of research into the theory and its utilization and evaluation.
Summary is articulate and includes the entire article.
Summary clearly describes the authors perspective.
Editorial/personal response demonstrates critical thinking.
Note: Points will be deducted for incorrect APA citation and poor composition.
Theory Critique Template Criteria Categories Checklist
Background Does the theory have a name?
Does the theory provide crucial references for the original and/or current work of the theorist and other authors writing about the theory?
Does the theory describe the theorists background and how it impacted theory development?
Can you describe the theory in your own words?
Does the theory talk of the phenomenon of concern or problems?
Theory Description Concepts Does the theory talk of the major concepts?
Does the author define the concepts in theoretical and operational terms?
Does the theory reflect the authors consistency with the use of concepts and other terms used in the theory?
Diagram Does the theory provide a concept map to visually demonstrate all the concepts and relationships between them?
Application Assumption Does the theory enlist the explicit and implicit assumptions/propositions underlying it?
Metaparadigm Does the theory describe the four metaparadigm concepts of nursing?
Clarity Does the theory reflect clarity of thought process?
Is the theory lucid and consistent?
Does the theory address semantic and structural clarity and consistency?
Congruence Does the theory explain/discuss the logical congruence of the internal structure of the theory?
Application Level Does the theory give an indication of the level which helps to describe, explain, predict or control the theory?
Does the theory demonstrate the ability to guide nursing actions?
Does the theory reveal the extent to which it can guide the phenomenon of nursing?
Use Does the theory find application in primary areas of nursing i.e., practice, education, or research?
Weaknesses Does the theory mention any inherent limitations?
Does the theory have broad application or is the application only confined within a narrow focus?
Is the theory easily understood?
Is the theory relevant to practice?
Future Is this a theory for the future?