Educational Technology Needs Assessment
TOPIC: Simulation Education in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
· Describe how nurses are currently using educational technology within the setting and educational context you have chosen for this assessment.
. What information is lacking that would provide you with a more complete or accurate description of current usage?
. Is your description based on any particular assumptions?
· Compare the current state of educational technology use with the desired state (best practices in nursing education).
. Choose any analysis methodology that you are familiar with and comfortable using. For example:
. Gap analysis.
. SWOT or TOWS analysis.
. Appreciative inquiry (discover and dream steps).
· Address the following:
. What, if any, changes are needed in how nurses currently use the existing technology?
. Is there a need for a new technology solution?
. On what do you base your conclusions?
· Assess the metrics used to determine the benefits of current educational technology use.
· Are the metrics sufficient for the intended purpose?
· What are the best practices that could help improve the quality, interpretation, and use of the data?
· Explain how new or existing educational technology aligns with the strategic mission of the organization.
· If needed, locate a public statement of the organization’s mission.
· Recommend changes to existing educational technology, or current use of the technology, that will improve nursing education.
· How will your recommendations result in improvements in nursing education?
· What evidence do you have to support your conclusions and recommendations?
· Support assertions, arguments, propositions, and conclusions with relevant and credible evidence.
· Is your supporting evidence clear and explicit?
. How or why does particular evidence support a claim?
. Will your reader see the connection?
· Did you summarize, paraphrase, and quote your sources appropriately?
· Write clearly and concisely in a logically coherent and appropriate form and style.
· Write with a specific purpose and audience in mind.
· Adhere to scholarly and disciplinary writing standards and APA formatting requirements.
Format your needs assessment using current APA style.
· Use the APA Style Paper Template, linked in the Required Resources. An APA Style Paper Tutorial is also provided (linked in the Suggested Resources) to help you in writing and formatting your needs assessment. Be sure to include:
. A title page and references page. An abstract is not required.
. A running head on all pages.
. Appropriate section headings.
· Your needs assessment should be 3–5 pages in length, not including the title page and references page.