- Web Site: American Psychiatric Association: Children”s Mental Health
- Web Site: LD Online: ADHD Basics: Treatment of ADHD
- Web Site: The Bipolar Child: Frequently Asked Questions About Early Onset Bipolar Disorder
- Web Article: Prozac on the Playground: The Dangers of Off-Label Use of Psychiatric Medications in Children by Sydney Spiesel
- Web Article: Drug-Therapy Combo Best for Anxiety in Kids ” Study by Julie Steenhuysen
- Web Site: New York Times Series: Troubled Children
Note: This page links to a series of articles that examine the transition to adulthood, the uncertainty of diagnosis, the use of multiple medications, and the role of parent
Discussion 2: Final Reflection
In Week 1, you composed your own definition of the phrase the well-being of children. You considered what the term well-being meant to you at that time, how you would determine a child”s well-being, and what factors have the most influence on children”s well-being. Now, as you complete this course, consider your original definition and how it has changed, expanded, or been corrected by your work and learning over the past 12 weeks. To help you prepare for this Discussion, reflect on the following:
- In what ways has your personal definition of the phrase the well-being of children changed through your work in this course?
- How did your learning in this course confirm, expand upon, and/or conflict with your prior knowledge with regard to factors that influence a child”s well-being?
- What are the most valuable insights you gained from this course? How might you use these insights in the future?
With your thoughts in mind, follow the instructions for this Discussion.
By Day 3 of Week 12:
Post your responses to the following:
- Write a definition of the phrase the well-being of children that reflects what you have learned in this course. Identify the factors that have the most influence on the well-being of a child. Cite your sources to support your reasoning.
- Compare your current definition with your explanation of the well-being of children from the Week 1 Dscussion. Explain in what ways your work in this course has confirmed, expanded upon, or corrected your prior knowledge at the beginning of the course.
- Explain your most valuable insight from this course and how you can apply it to your future work with young children and families.